Access to justice, the ability to understand the law and to obtain its protection, often makes all the difference. It means that families can stay together, save their homes, secure their savings, protect themselves from harm, and even preserve their liberty. The National Center for Access to Justice is using data to increase access to justice.
- The Justice Index – Using data to support states in competing to adopt best policies for access to justice. Learn more here.
- Tracking Outcomes: A Guide for Civil Legal Aid Providers & Funders – Using data to track effects of civil legal aid in improving people’s lives.
- AtJ Scholars Project – Gathering researchers (with NSF support) from across disciplines to build the field of access to justice research.
- Sustainable Development Goal 16 – Implementing in the US the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda which calls on all countries to use data to expand access to justice.
- A2J Initiative at Fordham Law School – Putting access to justice at the center of legal education.
- Hosted A2J Summit at Fordham Law School, bringing national leaders together to envision a unified civil and criminal justice system reform movement
- Received National Science Foundation grant to join Professors Rebecca Sandefur and Alyx Mark in AtJ Scholars Project.
- Published Tracking Outcomes: A Guide for Civil Legal Aid Providers & Funders
- Received American Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico Award for the Justice Index.
- Supported SDG 16 implementation in the US with Recommended Access to Justice Indicators for Implementation of Goal 16 of the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda in the United States.
- Hosted Where the Civil and Criminal Justice Systems Meet, an evening panel discussion about global access to justice challenges and responses.
- Speaking on civil justice reform to Bob Herbert on Op-Ed.TV!
- Guiding civil right to counsel panel for New York State Bar Association
- Joining national leaders in launching Law360’s new access to justice news service
- Speaking on Pro Bono & Professional Development Roundtable with the National Association for Law Placement
- Receiving American Bar Association Pro Bono Publico Award for Justice Index Pro Bono Team
Overview Materials (downloadable):